Have you ever wondered what it would be like to split up the load of maintaining a house? Or to only be financially responsible only for a portion of what it takes to own a home? Then this might be for you. Multigenerational homes are on the rise, and making more and more sense to families as the years progress.
Let’s start with what a multigenerational home is.
A multigenerational home is a home designed for more than two generations under the same roof. There are many different names to describe a multigenerational house such as, two homes under one roof or a home within a home. Other names combine relationship with a house like granny flat, mother-in-law suite, four generations – one roof or a casita. 2Gen homes, GenSmart, Next Gen houses and many more are marketing names for multigenerational properties.
Before you start to thinking you see your family for the holidays, and that is enough for you.. take a look below on the top 5 advantages of living in a multigenerational home.
1. Shared Expenses. When you own a home there are so many different financial responsibilities you take on. From your mortgage to utilities, any HOA dues, landscaping maintenance, and heaven for bid something goes wrong with a leak or roofing issue. The financial responsibility of owning a home can be a lot on one person, but dividing up the financial responsibilities can make it a lot more doable when you have the help of your family to contribute!
2. Shared Responsibilities. Maintaining a household has a lot of different facets to it. The daily household chores, grocery shopping, spring and fall deep cleans, mowing the lawn, cleaning the pool, and picking up after the dog can be very time consuming all on your own. Multigenerational living enables you to split up the chore list, so you can get back to spending quality time with the people you love.
3. Strengthened Family Bond. What means the most at the end of every day? Creating memories with the people you love most and who love you the most back. By living under the same roof, the bond and closeness that is shared is beyond priceless with a lot more laughs, a lot more hugs, and a lot more love.
4. Ensured Family Safety. When a family comes together under one roof, with different schedules it (most of the time) ensures that somebody will almost always be home. Giving you the freedom to take that vacation, go on date night, run your errands, and trust that someone is home watching over the nest while you’re out.
5. Privacy. This one may not seem as clear to some people, but multigenerational homes are designed to give the family more privacy to recharge and have alone time amongst living together. There are many floor plans out there, and I’m confident there’s one out there for your family! You can have a mother in law suite or casita where you have your privacy, and can come together when you want!
Bottom line, multigenerational homes can be a creative solution to owning a home, with less financial burden. To find out more about multigenerational homes, reach out to your favorite Real Estate experts at The Batchelor Hanna Group!